ALTEC implements new applications based on the pioneer ROADS technology (Reusable Objects for Application Development Systems), which itself has developed.
R.O.A.D.S. technology is a 3-tier Client/Server development frame, for On Line Transaction Processing (OLTP) applications and consists of:
- A set of autonomous Business Objects.
- A communication system among the Objects themselves (API), based on messaging.
- A model combination methodology among the Objects in order to develop applications of any size and complexity.
The term Object is referred to an autonomous software unit, which serves a set of business operations. This autonomy ensures to a great extent the capability to Reuse the same components onto more than one applications, for example, the “Customer” Business Object constitutes a component of a business application but it can also be used as a component onto a more specialized application, for instance, Stock Exchange Office Management, just like the “Patient” Object of a Hospital application has many things in common with the “Guest” of a Hotel application etc.
An application developed according to the R.O.A.D.S technology is nothing but an operating combination of different logical components, connected in a way that compose an integrated and specialised logic module.
The new generation of ALTEC SOFTWARE applications is developed with the most modern software development methodologies placing great emphasis on quality and ease of user friendliness issues. The use of the most modern Object Oriented Methodologies of software development (Coad/Yourdon, OMT and Unified Method) is also included within the framework of these procedures.
- R.O.A.D.S technology enables software expansion, thus making easier and quicker the incorporation of specialized modules to meet specific company requirements.
- R.O.A.D.S technology uses the most modern generation development platform (Delphi Client Server Suite) for Windows. The Delphi platform offers high operating performance at database management speeds and high connectability technology for access the Database Servers.
- Easier applications scalability. In particular, the R.O.A.D.S. Clients incorporation with local or remote connections is limited only by the available hardware capabilities. At the same time, through the relational databases, there is no limitation regarding the volume of data that can be managed.
- High credibility and security concerning the data storage method which is ensured by the use of the respective mechanisms, provided by the database management system (RDBMS). For example, Transaction blocks, Referential Integrity, On-line Backup etc
- Easier, quicker development and customization of applications (custom and generic) to customer’s requirements, accomplished through the reuse of objects from ROADS Repository as well as the reuse of the customization mechanisms provided by the technology.
- Minimization of errors due to object-oriented development and reuse, through inheritance mechanisms, of the objects from ROADS Repository. These objects have already been checked and used for the development of other applications.
- Capability to optimise the database (Database tuning). For example, Index incorporation by the Database Administrator and utilization by the application without requiring any modification.
- Capability to create reports using report generators, such as, MS Access, Crystal Reports.
- Rapid development of business applications, which results in less delivery time and smaller development cost.
- Capability of use in combination with any graphical development interface (Delphi, Visual Basic, etc.)
- Open Client / Server architecture.
- Database independent.
- Access from any peripheral software of third-party developers.
- High operating performances of the applications (high speed and credibility).
- Increased ease of installation and application maintenance.
The use of R.O.A.D.S technology at business level
- It constitutes an integrated environment for the development of groups of applications, to cover needs of different size companies, in different Business Sectors.
- It allows for smooth customization of the product according to the customer’s special requirements, in order to provide the functionality of a “custom” application but at a smaller cost.
- It significantly accelerates the development of new products and the expansion of the available ones, due to reuse of the already developed units.
- It provides the capability of upgrading the product’s functionality without limitations. Thus, it ensures the customer’s investment in the IT system (license, users training and customization costs).
- It enhances the utilization of the modern technological environment (Internet, World Wide Web, e-commerce), facilitating the enterprise adjustment and progress according to the new standards.